Financial Accounts Assistant
Location: Kampala, Uganda.
Line Manager: Financial Accountant.
The Vodafone Uganda Financial Accounts Assistant – OPCO forms an integral part of Finance team responsible for maintaining an efficient and accurate financial control function within the business; with specific accountability for fixed assets management, Accounts Payable, Opex accounting, financial statutory and regulatory compliance, timely reconciliation of balance sheet reconciliations, regulatory accounting and compliance, timely alignment with insurance policies and inter-company accounting, timely payment of suppliers and employees invoices.
This role is key to effective management of the balance sheet ensuring that all accounts are correctly reconciled, and maintained in accordance with the Company’s accounting policies. The incumbent will be a crucial resource in the preparation of external reports and statutory accounts.
The incumbent will be the subject matter expert on compliance requirements with statutory bodies such as Uganda Revenue Authority (URA), Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) and National Social Security Fund (NSSF).
Reporting to the Financial Accountant, the Accounts Assistant is responsible for statutory compliance, financial reporting, and maintaining a fully reconciled balance sheet through:
Fixed Assets Accounting:
- Ensure accurate preparation of the Company’s Fixed Assets and Depreciation Register, including the tagging, recording, verification, depreciation, and correct disposal of fixed assets.
- Ensure that Physical reconciles to General ledger
- Ensure that assets are accurately recorded
- Proficiently undertakes the efficient processing of supplier and employee invoices, expenses and payments in accordance with the Company’s accounting and control
- Ensure that all invoices have a purchase order and the spend is within approved budget
- Receive all supplier invoices and post them to the right cost centres and GL codes
- Perform the three-way match for all suppliers
- Prepare payments to vendors in line with the payment terms
- Perform a payment run and get the necessary approvals as per signature mandate
- Prepare vendor reconciliations on a weekly basis and keep an updated archive of vendor statements
- Perform quarterly supplier circularization and reconcile with the vendor outstanding
- Ensure that all outstanding of vendors is captured and payments made
- Ensure all prepayments are captured in the General Ledger
- Provide for amortisation of prepaid expenses at the end of the month.
- Provide a reconciliation (Prepayments Schedule at End of Month Closure)
- Track all deposits made with the suppliers and follow up on their refund upon retiary of the period
- Ensure that all the accruals are correct and corresponding to the not invoiced supplier obligations
- Ensure that all accruals are captured to the right GL codes in line with the commitments
- Prepare a monthly reconciliation (Accrual Schedule) to support Month End Reporting
- Retire the accruals upon receipt the invoice and reconcile the released accruals with the supplier obligations
Cash & Bank Accounting:
- Ensure that all requests are fully signed by department heads and finance Controller
- Analyse requisitions to ensure completeness and correctness of the amounts requested.
- Issue petty cash as per approved process
- Provide a summary of petty cash expenditure on a weekly basis.
- Provide a monthly reconciliation of the Account in the GL at Month End Closure
- Posting Intercompany transactions
- Review that transactions are accurate and accurately reconciled
- Request balance confirmations from intercompany Ops
- Ensure that the insurance renewals are up to date
- Ensure that the insurance costs are appropriate captured in the correct period
- Follow up on the loss claims and their timely refunds
- Ensure that VAT, NSSF, WHT, Excise Duty returns are reconciled with the GL
- Ensure that the tax returns are ready by the 10th of every month
- Correctly file the signed off tax returns by the 14th of every month
- Follow up and close out any variances between the tax returns and the GL
- File the annual returns for Corporation tax and quarterly returns for UCC.
Balance Sheet Reconciliations:
- Generate a balance sheet tracking schedule for all balance sheet accounts
- Ensure that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled on a timely basis in line with the reported management accounts
- Follow up with the reconcilers that all variances are tracked and closed timely
- Ensure that weekly Balance reconciliations are provided when required
- Prepare the P&L, Balance Sheet reports for management reporting
- Compile the commentary for the P&L and Balance Sheet management reports
- Compile the profitability report for the sales channels
- Compile the cost centre reports for the business units compared against budget
- Compile Site and premises tracker and Manage tracker
- Compile the utilities tracker
- Provide all required supporting information to the external audit and tax team
- Ensure that all the audit findings are closed and no repeat findings
The person – essential requirements:
- The successful candidate will be a University graduate with a good pass record and preferably2 years’ experience in a similar role in a fast-paced environment and part qualified with a recognised professional accounting body such as ACCA, CPA, and CIMA with:
- Demonstrable experience of enterprise systems and computerised accounting packages including SAP.
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills with a high level of accuracy.
- Proven knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Knowledge of local statutory reporting and compliance requirements.
- Abilities to analyse and resolve problems.
- Capable of multi-tasking with excellent time management skills and a dedication to meeting deadlines and SLAs.
- Highly organised organised, methodical, with strong analytical and numerical skills.
- Demonstrable skills of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proven strong ethics and personal integrity.
Other desirable traits:
- Ability to automate reconciliations and design exception reports.
- Fast learner, flexible, hardworking and dynamic.
- Ability to work as an active team player with all Vodafone Uganda personnel.
Please send your resume and cover letter in one file [email protected]Only applications prepared in English and submitted in either MS Word or PDF format will be considered and must include current salary package. Deadline 12th April 2017.